If you need to print a document with sensitive information, you probably don't want anything confidential sitting on a shared printer before you can retrieve your print job. You can, however, protect the print jobs you send by using the secure print method feature available on all Brother MFCs and the Admin Copier in the mailroom. This method requires the user to set up a name and passcode to be entered at the printer before the job will print.
Note: Make sure you have the proper drivers installed for the printer.
To secure print from a mac to a Brother printer, refer to the following instructions:
- When you are ready to send your document to the printer, go to File > Print or use the keyboard shortcut command + P to prompt the print dialog. Note: if you are using a browser to print documents, the browser might have its own print dialog. There should be an option to Print Using the System Dialog that you can click on to get the screenshots in the next steps.
- Click on the dropdown menu and choose Secure Print. Most dialogs will default to showing you Layout options:
- You should now see the Secure Print options. Make sure the Secure Print checkbox is selected and then you can supply the rest of the info. Choose a name and passcode (4 numerical digits) that you will recognize when you go to the printer. Note: If you want to change your passcode for future prints, you will be able to do it
- When you have your password memorized, go ahead and click print. This will send the print job to the printer. If you have more than one document to print, you can repeat steps 1-3 until you've sent all documents to the printer.
- When you are ready to retrieve your print job(s), walk over to the printer. On the display panel (you might have to tap it a few times for it to wake up), tap on the Secure Print icon
- Look for your username in the list, and select it.
- You'll find a list of waiting documents. Select the one you want to print:
- Enter your passcode that you set earlier and tap 'OK':
- Select Print
- Indicate the number of copies you want and then tap OK:
- Then press the start button and wait for you secure documents to print