NOTE: Before trying to add any network printers, be sure to know what the printer's hostname or IP address. Most printers have a label on them with a hostname; sometimes there's an IP address; sometimes both. If you know what the printer is called, you'll avoid printing on someone else's printer who has the same printer elsewhere.
Choose one of the options below for more instructions (the links do not work at the moment):
NOTE: This method requires a restart to finish installation. Make sure that you have everything saved before the installer prompts you for a restart.
NOTE: Please make sure you know what model that the printer is. You can typically find this the model number near the LCD panel. You'll need to know which download to choose from below.
NOTE: If you get a small window asking you to Restart Now or Restart Later during installation, choose Restart Later. Do not agree to restart until you reach the last screenshot of this tutorial and click Finish.
(1) Download the appropriate printer drivers for the printer: MFC-9970CDW | MFC-L8850CDW | MFC-L8900CDW
(2) When it finishes downloading, open the .exe file and let it decompress and let it run. When you get a User Account Control window, click Yes.
(3) Select a Language, and click OK. Let it prepare setup and when it's done, agree to the license agreement.
(4) If you are connected to the internet via ethernet, choose Wired Network Connection Ethernet and check Custom Install.(red). If you are connected to the internet via WiFi, choose Wireless Network Connection and check Custom Install (blue). Then, click Next.
(5) Allow the change to the Firewall port settings. This option is important!!! This will allow for a proper connection between your machine and the printer. Click Next.
(6) Choose a location for the driver software to exist. The default location should be fine.
(7) Make sure to select Network Printer and Scanner Drivers. The rest are optional and not necessary for printing. Click Next.
(8) Choose 'No I don't want to register this PC to Scan To button". (You can take advantage of the Scan to Email Server option when you scan at the printer) Click Next.
(9) Choose "Specify machine by address" and enter the IP address that's labeled on the printer. Click Next.
(10) Click next until you see the the Installation is Complete window. Before choosing "Restart my computer now" please be sure that you've saved opened files from other programs. When you're sure you've saved everything and are ready for a reboot, click Finish.
[ Via Windows Settings] I have installed a Brother printer on my machine
Now you'll be able to select the use the printer on the network
Open Settings. The easiest way to do this is to click on the Start button and click on the gear icon.
The settings window will open. Click on Devices
Click on Add a printer or Scanner.
While it's searching, a link that says 'The printer I want isn't listed' should appear. Click on the link.
A window should appear titled 'Find a printer by other options'. Choose 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname.'
In the field for a Hostname or IP address, enter the IP address or hostname that you see on the printer itself. Then click Next.
NOTE: For this tutorial example, I'm trying to connect to one of the DGE printers that has an IP address of 172.26.68.68. This same printer has a hostname of 2EPrint.dge.ciw.edu, which can alternatively used.
If you are asked about printer sharing, you can choose not to share. It's not necessary, considering it's already on the network.
Rename the printer you just added to something you can recognize, especially if you plan on adding more than one printer. Then, click Next.
Click finish, then you're all set.